The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) has laid out regulations that require owners of vehicles to maintain certain certifications related to their health and function in order to ensure that vehicles that operate on Indian roads are functioning optimally.
There is one such certificate that is extremely important: Vehicle Fitness Certificate.
An active Vehicle Fitness Certificate is required to register a vehicle under the Motor Vehicles Act, of 1989. An official certificate of fitness for vehicles is a document issued by the government that certifies the vehicle is suitable to drive on the road in terms of its overall health.
Regardless of whether a vehicle is commercial or private, there must be a fitness certificate. Find out what fitness certificates you need for two-wheelers and four-wheelers, how to renew them, and the fines you’ll be subject to if you don’t.
Why is Vehicle Fitness Certificate Important?
Here are a few reasons why having a Vehicle Fitness Certificate is Important:
- As per Indian Laws- A Vehicle Fitness Certificate is mandatory.
- Vehicle Fitness Certificate certifies that your vehicle is safe and secure to be driven as it is only given to vehicles that pass the assessment after a thorough examination.
- You can avoid government penalties if you own a valid Vehicle Fitness Certificate.
- All commercial vehicle owners must have the Vehicle Fitness Certificate, as it is mandatory for them.
- During the inspection, if the Vehicle Fitness Certificate is not present then the owner has to pay the fine as per the rules and regulations.
- This certificate ensures that the use of healthy and safe vehicles is allowed and also prevents the use of old vehicles that are not in proper condition to drive on road.
- Vehicle Fitness Certificate prevents the use of old vehicles that emit harmful emissions.
How does one obtain a “Vehicle Fitness Certificate”?
If you want to obtain the Vehicle Fitness Certificate for your two-wheeler or four-wheeler, then you need to follow the simple process that the government authority has deployed to issue the Vehicle Fitness Certificate.
Parivahan Sewa web portal has launched the procedure that gives all facilities like issuance, renewal, and many other requirements related to Vehicle Fitness Certificate. You must apply for the vehicle fitness certificate online by filling out the form and later visit the Zonal Regional Transport Office to submit the documents for verification.
The application process for the “Vehicle Fitness Certificate” is as follows:
- First, you need to log on to the Parivahan Sewa web portal
- Enter your vehicle’s registration number
- Click ‘Proceed’
- Choose “Online Services” on the menu
- A drop-down menu will appear, here you need to select the ‘Application for Fitness Certificate’
- Fill in your Chassis number, your registered mobile number
- Click on “Generate OTP”
- Fill out all the required information details
- Click on ‘Payment’ and complete the application with successful payment completion.
Once the payment is completed, the authority releases a receipt soft copy which also gives you the application number for the respective “Vehicle Fitness Certificate”.
Finally, you must visit the Zonal RTO to get your online Vehicle Fitness Certificate. This is only done when you submit the following:
- Fee Receipt
- Application Letter or form
- Original Vehicle Registration Certificate
- Vehicle Insurance Certificate
- Pollution Under Control(PUC)
Documents Mandatory for Vehicle Fitness Certificate:
- Forms 20, 21 and 22
- Receipt as proof of paid tax
- Original Vehicle Registration Certificate
- Insurance Certificate
- Chassis number pencil trace
- Address Proof Document
- Identification Proof Document
- Passport sized Photo
A Fitness Certificate will be given to you from the RTO authority once you submit these documents. An official review of the Motor Vehicle Examiner will be performed simultaneously as a necessary step for registration.
Renewal of Vehicle Fitness Certificate:
There are various guidelines and set of rules and procedures for each class of a vehicle and so you need to know the class of a vehicle and what process you must follow to get the Vehicle Fitness Certificate for your vehicle. Each type of vehicle has a different validity period. For instance, private vehicles have a validity period of 15 years after which you need to renew them. Vehicle Fitness Certificates for Commercial vehicles also have a validity period of 2 years. Make sure to carry the following documents for the successful renewal of the Vehicle Fitness Certificate:
- Vehicle Registration Certificate
- Form 25
- Tax Payment Proof
Simply take your vehicle and the above-mentioned documents to the respective RTO for inspection by the authority. Once the Motor Vehicles Department inspects the information provided and the vehicle details, it will be submitted online to the VAHAN web portal. Once the fees are paid, the renewed Vehicle Fitness Certificate will be given to you.
How to Download the Vehicle Fitness Certificate?
Follow the given steps to download the certificate online:
- Visit the Parivahan Sewa Website
- Log in to your account
- Click on “Online Services” from the drop-down menu
- Click on “Vehicle Related Services”
- Select the appropriate State of Residence
- Enter your Vehicle Number of Registration
- Click on “Proceed”
- Click on “Download Document”
- Print the Certificate by clicking on “Print Fitness Certificate”
- Enter the Vehicle Registration Number along with the Application Number for the fitness certificate
- Choose “ Verify Details” and follow the given instructions
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I download a Vehicle Fitness Certificate from Parivahan?
The applicant needs to log in to the Parivahan account, then choose “Online Services”. Once the details are filled in, choose “ Proceed” and “Download”. Now, print the certificate and enter the registration number for the vehicle. Once the details are checked you will be given simple instructions to complete the download process.
What is the cost of a fitness certificate for a vehicle?
The cost of a vehicle fitness certificate depends upon the type and class of vehicle. Light three-wheeler fees are Rs.400 while the cost for an automated vehicle is Rs.600.
How to check the validity of a car registration?
Simply go to a verification online portal to check the authenticity of the vehicle. Enter the vehicle number and search for the details.